OBESITY is defined as a state of excess accumulation of body fat. It can result from increased energy intake, decreased energy expenditure or a combination of both. The most widely used method to gauge obesity is BODY MASS INDEX 30-50% of variability in fat stores is believed to be genetically determined. Increased mortality from obesity is primarily due to Cardiovascular disease, hypertension, Gall bladder disease, Diabetes mellitus, sleep apnoea, osteoarthritis and certain forms of cancer such as uterine cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer and colorectal cancers. Obesity is a chronic medical condition that requires ongoing treatment and lifestyle modifications.
The most widely used method to gauge obesity is BODY MASS INDEX
|Healthy weight||18.5 - 24.9||--||--|
|Overweight||25 - 29.9||--||Increased|
|Obesity||30.0 - 34.9||I||High|
|Obesity||35.0 - 39.9||II||Very High|
|Extreme Obesity||≥ 40
30 - 50% of variability in fat stores is believed to be genetically determined.
Increased mortality from obesity is primarily due to Cardiovascular disease, hypertension, Gall bladder disease, Diabetes mellitus, sleep apnoea, osteoarthritis and certain forms of cancer such as uterine cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer and colorectal cancers.
Obesity is a chronic medical condition that requires ongoing treatment and lifestyle modifications.
What are the factors considered as complicating in Obesity / Metabolic Syndrome?
- Increased waist circumference.
- Raised waist to hip ratio.
- Fasting Blood Glucose = 100mg/dl.
- Diagnosed Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 (On/Off medication).
- High Serum Insulin Levels.
- High Blood Pressure.
- High Triglycerides.
- High LDL - Cholesterol.
- Low HDL- Cholesterol.
- High Serum Uric Acid Levels.
- Male Sex.
- Age < 40 years at the time of diagnosis.
The medical management for weight management has to be taken strictly under medical supervision of a consultant.
How Is Obesity related with Premature Aging?
As we pack more and more into each day, we also start aging faster. There are two schools of thought :
- Obesity itself is a risk factor or a direct cause for many diseases like Diabetes Mellitus-II , Insulin Resistance, Metabolic syndrome, Hypertension, Heart diseases, Obstructive sleep apnea, Respiratory diseases, Gall stones , PCOD, Impotence, Infertility, Backache, Depression, Cancers (Breast, Cervix, Uterus, Colon, Rectum, Pancreas etc.)
- Obesity is a consequence of many underlying diseases like Diabetes Mellitus-II, PCOD, Hypothyroidism, and Other hormonal imbalances like Hypogonadism, Menopause, Andropause, somatopause, Depression, Central Nervous System pathology and many more conditions.
All these conditions influence the quality of life and survival adversely.
How we manage Obesity at Amaaya™?
At AMAAYA™ the Obesity epidemic is managed as a clinical entity in a stepwise manner :
- Identify the underlying cause.
- Identify the complications.
- Treat the Underlying cause.
- Prevent / Mange Complications of Obesity.
Modes of Obesity Management
- Diet / Life style / Sleep management.
- Modified HCG protocol.
- Medical Bariatrics.
- Bariatric Surgery; wherever strongly indicated.
Non-Surgical Body Sculpting
Zerona® : US - FDA approved Non-Invasive Lipolaser
ZERONA® utilizes the Erchonia® Laser Scanner, the safest and most researched low-level laser in the world.
ZERONA® is a US-FDA approved equipment for the circumferential reduction of Abdomen, Hips, Thighs , Arms etc. (Non Invasive Body Contouring).
The ZERONA® procedure has been proven to be significantly effective in Non Invasive Circumferential Inch loss of the body through a double-blind, randomized, multi-site and placebo-controlled clinical study.
Zerona® involves the application of a 635nm low intensity LASER, which has been shown through extensive research to break down the fat cell membrane in the areas being treated, stimulating the body to rid itself of the excess fat.
Excess fat is then removed naturally by the body’s lymphatic system and subsequently excreted without the potential side effect and down time associated with more invasive procedures such as liposuction. In contrast o high power, high heat LASERS that are use in various medical procedures, the low level LASER used for this treatment is a "Cold" LASER and has no thermal effect on tissues.
Zerona® therapy has been tested in several institutional review board approved studies and was found to be generally effective in measurably reducing body contours. Though safe and non invasive, any medical or cosmetic procedure carries risk, complications and varied results as to its effectiveness.
The purpose of this document is making you aware of this product and its risks in advance so that you can decide whether to go forward with this procedure.
If there are no contraindications, the use of supplements and Medications may be recommended in conjunction with this treatment as per the physician’s advice and your underlying medical/Surgical/Gynecological history, as it has been shown to greatly enhance the results by assisting your body in removing the fat from your blood stream.
Zerona® : Patient Testimonials
- "The Zerona helped me lose 10 inches in my waist, hips & thighs that I just couldn’t do on my own.I recommend everyone to try it. It is amazing! I’m now in a size 6 again and I feel so much better.” G. G. - Business Owner
- Zerona is Excellent Treatment done by the team and I had lost total 16” inches and 8.5 kg in twenty days. A.C. ; 38/M; Mumbai
- Zerona treatment seems works good. Fat Loss is at targeted region . I got total inch lost is 13.5” inches and 4 Kg during the treatment. A. Shah ; 34/M; Mumbai
- "I have lost at least the total of three inches and am gradually still losing. I am looking forward to being able to have time with my grand kids and not having to limit my activities by having more energy. My Zerona experience was great, just lay back and let the machine do its thing. I tend to have more energy and have been able to fit into a smaller size, almost 2 sizes. My outlook is much better and brighter. I am more hopeful and even excited with my results." Sherry - Farmersville, TX
- Zerona and Medical weight loss was deployed for 3 weeks. and Inch lost is 14.4” inches and 2.6 kg in Three weeks was great. Significant reduction from abdomen, waist and Hips. A.J. ; 30/M; Pune
- It’s a gradual process of losing inches and weight, the way it should be . All the best for the future and gonna recommend to a few more people. N.S.; 35/F; Mumbai
Zerona® : Before & After Gallery
Zerona® : Scientific & Other References
- When babies suck on cold dummies for too long they lose fat from their cheeks.
- Butter (fat) hardens/freezes much more quickly than skin or anything else.
- Freezing the fat doesn’t take too long.
- Once the fat cells are frozen, apoptosis occurs.
- The area to be treated is sucked in the handpiece.
- A cycle of intense -8°C begins
- Subcutaneous fat cells in the area are frozen to -8°C
- Overlying skin is not damaged as a protective membrane is placed on the skin
- Cooled fat cells begin a process called apoptosis
- Fat cells are destroyed and excreted from the body by natural mechanisms
- Every fat freezing procedure may take upto 90days to get rid off the apoptotic cells.
- Cryo = cold, lipo = fat, lysis = breakdown, is a Greek medical term which literally means fat breakdown through cold.
- Research has shown that fat cells are more sensitive to cold temperatures than surrounding tissue.
- Using advanced cooling (cryo) technology, the device safely targets the fat layer and slowly crystallizes the fat cell contents.
- This process causes the breakdown (lysis) of the cells. During the following two months, the melted fat is gradually eliminated via natural metabolic processes.
- For small to moderately full fat bulges resistant to diet and exercise.
- The procedure is considered safe for all skin types.
- However, on treating the darkest skin types caution must be taken because skin is naturally more cold sensitive.
- There is an initial intense cold feeling which gradually disappears because of the cold’s numbing effect.
- Normally there is no discomfort post procedure. Thin patients may experience a tingling sensation for about two weeks afterwards.
- Results are visible within two months.
- Depending on the initial thickness of the fat pad, more than one treatment can be performed.
- Because there are no needles, no injections and no drugs involved, there is no aftercare. Patients may drive home and resume all activities.
How many treatments? How often?
- The treatments are performed 2 times per area spaced 3 months apart
- Lipo Freezing can be associated to complementary treatments (cavitation, radiofrequency)
HCG Diet Plan
HCG diet works on a hypothesis that, in a situation of calorie deficit HCG primes the hypothalamus to signal the mobilization of body fat stores and hence use the stored fat as primary fuel for energy. In this way it may help in attaining the weight loss in overweight individuals.
This hypothesis was laid by Dr. Simeon few decades back and he performed clinical studies for the same and observed very good and significant results.
We need to remember that it is in a hypothetical stage today. In spite of all the good results attained by number of physicians worldwide, FDA has not yet given its clearance for the use of HCG for weight loss.
There is always a question, if one can attain the desired weight loss with a very low calorie diet then what is need of giving HCG?
The answer for this is simple:
It is very difficult to follow a very low calorie diet plan for a period as long as 6-8 weeks without having the adverse effects of starvation as weakness, depression, and hair fall etc. Following the HCG protocol prevents all these symptoms and the weight loss is very physiological, not pathological.
The most important thing to remember here is that: If calories are not restricted as advised then HCG can lead to weight gain and also exogenous HCG can lead to some unwanted effects and hence HCG diet should be followed under strict supervision of a trained doctor/consultant.
The HCG diet foods promoted by various companies internationally are nothing more than a mere fad. HCG diet food can be customized for every individual. There is no need to buy the same from any company which is neither palatable nor economical.
Remember, the weight management is a lifelong process and hence the remedies for it should be practical and economical. I never advise my patients to buy the HCG diet foods online. We plan their HCG diets as per their needs considering their beliefs / customs / traditions in mind.
We prescribe the HCG protocol for my overweight / Obese patients as an adjuvant to the ongoing treatment along with the conventional medical treatment. Not everyone is fit for HCG protocol and vice versa. Patients having underlying medical issues like Diabetes, Hypertension, Kidney problems, Hypothyroidism, Anxiety disorders, Fibroids, Malignancy of prostrate/Breast/Uterus and other medical issues need more precise judgment about HCG protocol. Also, people who are frequent travelers need extra attention and care.
We suggest, before starting the HCG protocol for any individual the screening for underlying medical issues should be done. A female should make sure that she is not pregnant.
HCG protocol is not a substitute/alternative for Bariatric surgery for morbidly obese patients, but it can be used to give initial weight loss to the patients looking for Bariatric surgery. Obesity is a complex process, and no single approach can give best results. Hence the multitude of the treatment protocols may be required to give long term treatment of Obesity.
Please remember: HCG protocol is not a treatment for obesity. We are not claiming It to be used as a single line treatment for obesity.
Like any other treatment, HCG treatment is also not side effect free. To enumerate the few as follows:
- Menstrual irregularities in women.
- Bloating and Breast engorgement.
- Hypotension / Giddiness may occur, though rare.
- If not followed under supervision then may cause weight gain.
We have included HCG protocol in the Obesity management of number of patients in our clinics. We have trained number of physicians also about HCG protocol in India, Malaysia, and Indonesia. As, we have been doing the HCG protocol under close supervision and counseling, we have seen very good results with the addition of this protocol in the conventional weight management protocols. We customize the HCG diet for every patient without hurting the cultural sentiments of our patients. This gives them a confidence and learning about the process. As they learn to get the best HCG diet from their usual food habits the compliance is best and hence results are phenomenal. The constant supervision and follow up with the patients by our doctors multiply the results.
Weight Loss Calculator