- OBESITY is defined as a state of excess accumulation of body fat.
- It can result from increased energy intake, decreased energy expenditure or a combination of both.
- The most widely used method to gauge obesity is BODY MASS INDEX.
- 30 - 50% of variability in fat stores is believed to be genetically determined.
- Increased mortality from obesity is primarily due to Cardiovascular disease, Hypertension, Gall bladder disease, Diabetes Mellitus, Sleep Apnea, Osteoarthritis and Certain Forms of Cancers such as Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer and Colorectal Cancers.
- Obesity is a chronic medical condition that requires ongoing treatment and lifestyle modifications.
What are the factors considered as complicating in Obesity / Metabolic Syndrome?
- Increased waist circumference.
- Raised waist to hip ratio.
- Fasting Blood Glucose = 100mg/dl.
- Diagnosed Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 (On/Off medication).
- High Serum Insulin Levels.
- High Blood Pressure.
- High Triglycerides.
- High LDL - Cholesterol.
- Low HDL- Cholesterol.
- High Serum Uric Acid Levels.
- Male Sex.
- Age < 40 years at the time of diagnosis.
The medical management for weight management has to be taken strictly under medical supervision of a consultant.
How Is Obesity related with Premature Aging?
As we pack more and more into each day, we also start aging faster. There are two schools of thought :
- Obesity itself is a risk factor or a direct cause for many diseases like Diabetes Mellitus-II , Insulin Resistance, Metabolic syndrome, Hypertension, Heart diseases, Obstructive sleep apnea, Respiratory diseases, Gall stones , PCOD, Impotence, Infertility, Backache, Depression, Cancers (Breast, Cervix, Uterus, Colon, Rectum, Pancreas etc.)
- Obesity is a consequence of many underlying diseases like Diabetes Mellitus-II, PCOD, Hypothyroidism, and Other hormonal imbalances like Hypogonadism, Menopause, Andropause, somatopause, Depression, Central Nervous System pathology and many more conditions.
All these conditions influence the quality of life and survival adversely.
How we manage Obesity at AMAAYA™?
At AMAAYA™ the Obesity epidemic is managed as a clinical entity in a stepwise manner :
- Identify the underlying cause.
- Identify the complications.
- Treat the Underlying cause.
- Prevent / Mange Complications of Obesity.
Modes of Obesity Management